크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
Picture essay: website

By Ivana Sekularac and Marko Djurica

KRIVELJ, Serbia, April 18 (Reuters) - Before dawn, 78-year-old Vukosava Radivojevic prepared breakfast for her husband then walked into her village in eastern Serbia to guard a barricade stopping trucks entering an open-pit copper mine that residents say is contaminating local land and water.

Radivojevic is one of two dozen women who since January took shifts day and night on a small bridge in Krivelj to protest against the mine, run by a subsidiary of China's Zijin Mining, that dominates the surrounding countryside and encroaches on their homes.

While their husbands work, the women are fighting to persuade the company to relocate their village away from what they describe as the incessant din, shaking and pollution.

Zijin has already relocated many of the villagers. But the majority of those who remain are Vlachs - Orthodox Christians who have preserved their own language and customs through centuries. They want to move as one.

"We are forced to block the road, because we are poisoned, everything is polluted, we can't grow vegetables anymore," Radivojevic said this month as she stood at the blockade.

"We just want to be safe, we earned that right."

Zijin's subsidiary, Serbia Zijin Copper, acknowledged the problems, which it said it inherited from a local company when it took over operations in 2018.

According to a study commissioned by the company and published in December, Krivelj's small river is polluted with heavy metals. Increased quantities of lead, arsenic and cadmium were found in the soil.

"The site suffered from severe direct emissions of gases and wastewater, resulting in highly polluted surroundings including air, rivers, and soil," the company said in a statement to Reuters.

It said it has invested over $100 million to reduce the environmental impact, including improving wastewater recycling.

Zijin stated it is "dedicated to formulating relocation plans with transparency and fairness" and is in contact with all parties involved. A local official said they hoped the move would be done by the end of 2025.

This week, Zijin agreed to stop driving large trucks through the village, community leader Jasna Tomic said, in a sign the women have had some success. Residents temporarily lifted the blockade to allow the company to complete some work.

The fight for a satisfactory relocation continues.

TAKING A STAND

Krivelj used to be a lively village surrounded by green hills. Every year it hosted a fair that attracted visitors from neighbouring villages.

Then mining began in the 1970s, 에그벳 when Serbia was still part of Yugoslavia. The concentration of sulphur dioxide in the air became so high that it burned holes in women's nylon tights, locals sai

/>Standards have since improved, but production has quadrupled since Zijin took over, meaning more trucks and more dust, the residents sai

/>The landscape is scarred by piles of mine waste. Lines of orange trucks snake up the brown valley. The walls of houses are cracked from tremors caused by underground explosions, residents sai

/>The number of school children has dropped by two-thirds, retired teacher Aleksa Radonjic said, as young families have moved away. The fair stopped years ag

/>The barricade, erected in January, became a symbol of Krivelj's defiance. Over time it turned into a second home for the women: the inside was heated by a wood stove and had a television. Neighbours stopped by with snacks and coffee. Sometimes dogs kept them compan

/>"One day I was standing in the centre of the village, and I kept seeing truck after truck driving through. The small bridge was swinging under their weight," Radivojevic sai

/>"And then I told my granddaughter, something needs to be done."

/>Housewife Marija Bufanovic, 53, was among the first to build the barricade.

/>"There is no life here," she said. "We want to move together."

/>Meanwhile, villagers discuss where they may end up. The company has proposed an area near another Zijin mine, said community leader Tomi

/>"We want that new village to be called Krivelj as well. Of course there will be no river there, but we want to move the church, the library and the school

/>(Reporting by Ivana Sekularac; Editing by Edward McAllister, Alexandra Hudson)

1. WIDER IMAGE-In Serbian Village, Women Fight To Escape Encroaching Mine

Date2024.04.24 ByEdgardoCotter07322 Views2
    Read More
  2. Yoga Monde Québec : Épanouissement Et Connexion à Soi

Date2024.04.24 ByLilaUmk714893871747 Views2
    Read More
  3. What Does A Liftmaster Do In Regards To Home Construction & Improvement?

Date2024.04.24 ByDirkShah7989217 Views2
    Read More
  4. Web Designer à Montréal : Les Avantages De L'Embauche

Date2024.04.24 ByHazelGurner47239280 Views2
    Read More
  5. This Move Comes As No Surprise

Date2024.04.24 ByLelaKidd8903350 Views22
    Read More
  6. Types Of Invisible Disabilities: Understanding The Diversity Of Unseen Challenges

Date2024.04.24 ByWilfordBlanco09900 Views124
    Read More
  7. Three Enticing Ways To Improve Your Выбрать Серьги Для Парней Skills

Date2024.04.24 ByCatharineFischer348 Views25
    Read More
  8. Where Can You Discover Free Как Выбрать Мужские Серьги Assets

Date2024.04.24 BySerenaRiddoch211 Views3
    Read More
  9. Hotel Haven: 궁극의 편안함을 위한 객실 내 마사지

Date2024.04.24 ByLorena69M6286511685 Views5
    Read More
  10. 5 Factors For Google Adwords Ppc Campaign Failure

Date2024.04.24 ByChunMcinnis562411 Views5
    Read More
  11. Le Mini-Prêt : Une Solution Financière Pratique

Date2024.04.24 ByRexFeakes83348443831 Views9
    Read More
  12. Involve Your Family In Your Home-Based Business

Date2024.04.24 ByLucieRamsey15723 Views28
    Read More
  13. Soins Des Pieds Adaptés : Prenez Soin De Vos Pieds Dans Douceur Et Efficacité

Date2024.04.24 ByGlennWorrall1909 Views4
    Read More
  14. _Magasin De Meubles Pas Cher : Trouvez Des Solutions Abordables Par Votre Décoration Intérieure_

Date2024.04.24 ByEffieHaskell6036 Views3
    Read More
  15. Conseils Par Une Alimentation Riche En Magnésium : Nourrissez Votre Corps Avec Ce Minéral Essentiel

Date2024.04.24 ByJodiBrandenburg8 Views5
    Read More
  16. Do Away With Breakdown Recovery Kent For Good

Date2024.04.24 ByLeopoldo73Y57707 Views10
    Read More
  17. Exemption EIMT Sur Le Québec: Facilitant L'Immigration Et Le Recrutement International

Date2024.04.24 ByClaudiaOSullivan894 Views3
    Read More
  18. Prier Le Je Vous Salue Marie À La Lumière Des Pères De Leglise

Date2024.04.24 ByMarlysIngraham12 Views3
    Read More
  19. Lunettes De Golf Sur Le Québec : Protégez Vos Yeux Et Améliorez Votre Jeu

Date2024.04.24 ByLincolnBorges343881 Views3
    Read More
  20. Meilleur Endroit Pour Implant Dentaire : Comment Choisir La Clinique Idéale

Date2024.04.24 ByTeganCarrier68416205 Views5
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... 318 Next
/ 318